Subscribe:

Friday, September 10, 2021

No fucks given, sorry

Time is passing normally and as a result, I grow up. It is a process that no-one has yet managed to stop. During this process, one accumulates knowledge and experience. In few cases, I will dare say that you acquire a"bird's-eye view" slowly, being able to check on situations and people with ease. 

The intuition (generally put when you can bond it with experience) is a sense that positively correlates with the age. The more you grow up the more you can trust it (stemming from experience, I repeat).

And the reason for that is all the shit you have been through. IF you have spent the time to analyze and understand the reasoning behind the experiences, most probably you have managed to internalize various external factors that led you to... "being you, today".

[further reading here: https://www.finkingma.com/en/the-internalisation-model-how-responsive-behaviour-is-born/]


However, a negative correlation occurs between the "older you get" and the "patience" you are left with. 


If I suppose that the average age of a female, white Greek woman is 84,5 years (directly taken from https://www.worlddata.info/life-expectancy.php), then I have just passed my 1 third of life. Grim talk? I don't think so!


On the same note, a 21 year old (taking it from the same average though) has just passed its 1 fourth of living. If you can understand math (which I won't explain here), you can extract that I possess - theoretically- more experiences and a better intuition that the 21 year old. 


So far, so good. Or not?


A person with less experience, intuition and knowledge is naturally inclined to seek answers (so that he can reach a better understanding of the world and social skills etc, let's sum it up as "knowledge"). As society - and me as part of it inevitably- we encourage this path. What we (I hope, or else I am alone) do not encourage is "smart asses" [ there, we get back to normal writing rather than a journal article tone].


And you know what? In the published research from Sawyer et al. (2018, p. 227), "The ages of 10–24 years are a better fit with the development of adolescents nowadays.". In simple words, the "adolescents" is a synonym for "teenagers", therefore until 24 years old, one can still be considered a "teenager". 


And what do teens do to me occasionally? They get on my nerves.

I have observed by my own experience as a teenager that usually:

1. They take for granted that they know it all (rationally impossible achievement).

2. They think they own the whole world and time (when the parents call their kids "prince" or "princess" they don't mean it literally, or at least it does not apply outside of the family boundaries).

3. As a consequence from number 2, they act entitled to whatever that brings along.

4. They have demands on EVERY SINGLE THING.

5. They think and act as if the rest of us are their puppets.

And the funniest of all so far:

6. They expect that the world would work like a clock: perfectly and non- stop (and that cycles back to 4 and often also to 5).


Obviously all the above are interconnected and if I start analyzing most probably I would have to devote a vast amount of years, so that I can properly explain why the aforementioned behavior is simultaneously positive and negative.


However, this is not a journal and I do not have so much of time, nor I really want to devote my precious time on that, as I 'm also confident there's a lot of related literature on this topic.

Apparently my so far experience in the Netherlands is going pretty well, since, as you can see, I could already produce a couple of lines on such a simple and complicated topic simultaneously. 


Though, the bottom line is that I am a tad far from adolescence (I am considered by "society" as a fully grown adult with all the "sundries" of responsibilities) and there is no going back (Fortunately? Unfortunately? Debatable). Therefore, as I have more important - defined by my age category- things to deal with, I conclude that I have inversely less fucks to give.





Reference(s): 

Eglitis, L. (n.d.). Average life expectancy by country. Worlddata.Info. Retrieved September 10, 2021, from https://www.worlddata.info/life-expectancy.php

Sawyer, S. M., Azzopardi, P. S., Wickremarathne, D., & Patton, G. C. (2018). The age of adolescence. The Lancet Child & Adolescent Health, 2(3), 223–228. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2352-4642(18)30022-1


Bibliography:

Kingma, F. (2018, January 24). The internalisation model – how we have created responsive behaviour. Fin Kingma - the Romantic Tester. https://www.finkingma.com/en/the-internalisation-model-how-responsive-behaviour-is-born/



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Your opinion is...?